Corners Of The Earth

I will drive (or ride) to the far corners of the world to reach any of my children. I do not care how old my kids are. I will get to them one way or another. Day or night doesn’t matter to me, either. My kids call and I’ll coming running.

I received a phone call from my oldest son who happens to live 2 1/2 hours away in Illinois. He called me Saturday night and he sounded horrible!

It was kind of funny at first because I had been sitting there thinking I should call him to see how he was. My phone rang and his name was showing. I chuckled to myself and answered. When he said hello, I almost didn’t recognize his voice. He was all kinds of clogged up.

He told me that he had been ill the last couple of days. He convinced me that he was antibiotics. He had a culture taken but the results still had not confirmed if he had strep throat or something else. He promised me that he would give me a call on Sunday, the next day. Well, he didn’t call me. He didn’t call me until Monday afternoon.

First thing out of his mouth was that he was in the hospital. The meds he had been on had not helped at all. He had taken himself to the ER Sunday afternoon. The doctor gave him morphine because he was in so much pain. He said that he could barely talk. His tonsils were so huge that they were touching each other. The doctor wasn’t sure if my son’s tonsils were abscessed or just what was going on.

While on the phone with EJ (my son) Monday afternoon, I decided that we (my husband and I) would be going to Illinois. I needed to be close to my son and visa versa. EJ is 29. I could tell in his voice that he wanted me to come to the hospital.

When Alex and I arrived at the hospital (about 3 hours later), it was past visiting hours. The security guard gave us a visitor’s tag after he called up to the nurse’s station for clearance. I told him that we just drove three hours from Missouri to see my son. There was no way I was not going to see EJ. The guard kinda looked at me weird and told us to have a nice visit.

When Alex and I reached EJ’s room, I could hardly contain myself. I hugged EJ. He looked like death warmed over but I was so happy to see him. I could see in his eyes that he was thrilled to have us there. After a short while, Alex and I drove to EJ’s apartment. We spent the night there.

The next day, Alex and I took EJ’s bedding to the laundry mat to wash. We did his dishes, swept the floors and cleaned his bathroom. When we arrived at the hospital, EJ was being released. YAY!!!

We took him home and got him settled in for the night. Making sure EJ had everything that he needed, Alex and I headed home.

I hugged EJ and I could tell he was grateful that we had come up there.

Yesterday (Wednesday), EJ called me. He sounded so much better. The medicine that he was on this time was working. His tonsil was abscessed. The doctor said he won’t be removing EJ’s tonsils, though.

I’m just ecstatic that EJ is feeling better!

I do not care where my children live (Well, I do but that is a whole other blog.), if they need me, all they need to do is call. I’ll be there.

Have a blessed day!

Laurie Jackson




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s